Friday, September 2, 2011

Takin' Care of Business

So this post is going to be primarily about my experiences so far working at the BYU bookstore. I am working in the Cougar Wear department- specifically Kids Cougar Wear. So far I have really liked it there. Everyone is really nice that I work with, which makes it a really positive place to work. And I would say there isn't ever really a dull moment working there. For example, here are some funny little things I have noticed:
  • Everyone in the cougar wear department has to wear these lovely little orange aprons that say "cougar wear" on them. Apparently wearing this apron makes me not only an authority on game day t-shirts and other such paraphernalia, but also on anything else a customer might be confused or concerned about. For instance, one day a lady came up to me all concerned about a girl she had just heard crying in the bathroom. I nodded my head in agreement that this was indeed unfortunate. She then suggested that I go in and check on her. I guess she assumed I was better equipped to handle a crying girl than her, my orange apron and all, you know. So I did....and there was, in fact, a girl in one of the bathroom stalls crying. Once I got there I wondered to myself "well, what do I do now..." I didn't want to intrude on her moment of sadness or make her embarrassed. So I just left and went back to the concerned lady and confirmed that the girl was still in there crying. I don't think I did the crying girl much good, but apparently my confirmation of the unfortunate scene was enough to make this woman feel better about the situation so whatever...
  • Also, just a story, this other lady came in with her mom and child to exchange a shirt for a different one. So apparently picking out a new shirt wasn't enough. She decides to tell Chauncey (one of my coworkers/friends) and I about how her ex husband came in there with her girls to buy them shirts and about how much of a creep he is. And about how he was cheating on her and how he deceived her... yada, yada, yada... The kind of odd thing about it is that she was telling us about all of this a laughing about it like it was something funny. I didn't think it was funny...but I guess it's good she can laugh about it. So I guess the orange aprons also make us look like diaries or something!
  • So I am in charge of keeping a small area in the cougar wear department stocked. This means I frequently get to take little trips back to our area of the stockroom to get various items. There is this one guy I always pass who works in a fairly well populated part of the stockroom. Everyday I notice he is listening to a book on CD or something. He doesn't have headphones in to do this, nope, he just plays it out loud over a set of speakers just for himself. I'm pretty sure one day he was even listening to the scriptures haha...mormons... it's just one of the funny little things that goes on in the underbelly of the byu bookstore. Gotta love it.
  • Another thing I have encountered a lot of is kids on leashes. The funny thing is that parents feel the need to attempt to camouflage the fact that their kid is on a leash. This is usually done with a decorative little backpack worn by the child. Like the backpack is going to distract away from the giant tether attached to the poor child. Most of these kids aren't even badly behaved so I ask, why the leash? anyway it's usually a pretty disheartening sight...i feel for the kids...no freedom.
So yes. so far it has been an interesting experience! peace out girl/boy scouts.

5 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

hahahahaha, HANNAH!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep posting!
EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard reading this!!! Keep telling of ALL of your BYU expereiences!!!!

Jill said...

DITTO everything joanna said!!!! MUST.KEEP.POSTING--MUST.KEEP.POSTINGGGGGGGGG.

you're such a comedic writer. i can hear your voice in everything that you say...!!!!

Hannah said...

why thank you! I'm glad you guys can actually follow my train of thought because most of the time I feel it is pretty inconsistent. but I'm glad you enjoy it at least!

Rick said...

Hannah!! You are so good at telling stories!! I can't wait to read more of them.

Unknown said...

So so glad I'm getting to read your blog. It is making my night! I want to hear more of whatever is happening to you. It helps me see the hilarity in my own life. You have a gift.